MEC-CO DIABETIC SUPPLIES, INC.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Med-Co Diabetic Supplies, Inc. is committed to protecting the privacy of your protected health information (PHI) that is in our possession, and only using and disclosing your PHI as necessary to provide you with healthcare products and services. PHI is any information that we possess, use, and disclose that identifies you and relates to your past, current, or future physical and mental health condition or illness and the healthcare products and services that have been provided to you.
Effective April 14, 2003, The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) provides you with several rights related to your PHI. HIPAA requires that this Notice, at a minimum cover the following three areas: Your rights with respect to your PHI; how we will use and disclose your PHI; and, our legal duties to protect the confidentiality of your PHI.
Your Rights With Respect To Your PHI
- You have the right to receive written Notice of Privacy Practices.
- You have the right to request a restriction on our use and disclosure of your PHI. However, we are not required to agree to your request.
- You have the right to review or receive photocopies of our records that contain your PHI. However, we may require payment to cover the cost to copy and mail.
- You have the right to request changes in the content of your PHI contained in our records where you believe the content is incomplete, inaccurate, or for some other reason needs to be changed. However, we are not required to agree to your request.
- You have the right to request that we communicate with you about your PHI in a confidential manner.
- You have the right to obtain an accounting of some of our disclosures of your PHI.
- You have the right to file a complaint if you believe that we have violated your rights and do not fear retaliation or adverse action by us against you for exercising your right. You can file the complaint with us directly, or with the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Ways That We May Use and Disclose Your PHI
Treatment: We may discuss your equipment and supply needs with your other health care professionals, such as your physician or nurse, and through such discussion, we may use and disclose your PHI. We may use and disclose your PHI in our discussion with you and your caregivers about your treatment.
Payment: These activities include billing you or your designated third party who pays for healthcare products and services that we provide to you.
Health Care Operations: These activities include, but may not be limited to, conducting quality assessment and improvement activities, case management and care coordination. Activities also include reviews conducted by regulatory and accrediting organizations.
Disclosure of Miscellaneous Nature: we may disclose your PHI to comply with workers compensation laws; as required by other federal or state government agencies or by law enforcement, legal proceedings, public health requirements, and as required by law in certain situations involving suspected abuse, and/or neglect.
Uses and Disclosures Not Contained in this Notice: If a use and disclosure of your PHI is not contained in this Notice, then we will obtain your written authorization before the use and disclosure. You may have the right to refuse to authorize the use and disclosure; or if you grant the authorization, you may revoke the authorization at any time. If such authorization is requested, we will provide you with a form that describes the proposed use and disclosure and your rights related to the requested authorization. At some future time, it may be necessary for us to revise this notice. If such becomes necessary, we will post the revised Notice and if you request, provide a written Notice to you.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT WAYS THAT WE MAY USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PHI AS DESCRIBED ABOVE, PLEASE CONTACT OUR PRIVACY OFFICER at 336-661-1669